[tdwg-tag] Specimen identifiers

Kevin Richards RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz
Thu Feb 23 20:41:05 CET 2012

I agree Rod, it would be ideal to have unique, shared identifiers for specimens, and as many other types of data as possible.
The problem here is the "shared" bit.  This is what most people hope for and hoped would come out of all the GUID and vocabulary work that has been done.  But you know how hard it is to get different projects, organisations, datasets to really share IDs.  Pretty much impossible, so I have moved on from this dream and hope to solve this more by linkages, linked data type approaches instead.

Another problem is what the identifier refers to.  As someone (I think Rich) said in a recent post, two different people may apply the same identifier to slightly different things - eg to the "name" of a person, or to the "person" itself.  This is another barrier to reuse of shared identifiers.
You may think that specimens should be very simple, it is just a specimen that you refer to, but there can be subtle differences, for example if someone has data about the accessioned physical specimen and another has an image of that specimen - they could both well say that they are discussing the same specimen so give these two "different" objects the same identifier.

Kevin