[tdwg-tag] Proposed charter for a TAG Vocabulary Management Task Group (VOMAG)

Dag Endresen (GBIF) dendresen at gbif.org
Fri Feb 10 12:20:49 CET 2012

Dear TAG,

After battling with the plans for a biodiversity knowledge organization
(KOS) framework for biodiversity information resources we have
identified the requirement to develop guidelines and best practices for
the management of vocabularies of terms. Basic terms organized in
vocabularies provides an essential element to underpin the biodiversity
information standards. As introduced at the TDWG 2011 TAG meetings in
New Orleans, we propose the formation of a new Vocabulary Management
Task Group (VOMAG) [1] to be organized under the TDWG technical
architecture group (TAG). Please find the draft charter available from
the GBIF Community Site [2][3]. Here you will also find another draft
document "Biodiversity Knowledge Organization System: Proposed
Architecture; Version 0.1 February 2012" that provides an overview of
the proposed KOS landscape and the context for the proposed work-plan of
the Vocabulary Management Task Group Charter.

This is the first draft so far only discussed with Greg Whitbread as
convener of the TDWG TAG and with Steve Baskauf and Joel Sachs as
convener of the TDWG RDF/OWL task group. We invite feedback and comments
to the proposed formation of the task group including suggestions with
regard to the work-plan. Please join the Vocabulary Management group at
the GBIF Community Site [1]. You can start or participate in discussions
or share suggestions using the GBIF Community Site. Feel also free to
make contact with us to volunteer as a core member for this proposed
task group!

[1] http://community.gbif.org/pg/groups/21382/vocabulary-management/
[2] http://community.gbif.org/pg/file/read/21388/
[3] http://community.gbif.org/pg/blog/read/21387/