[tdwg-tag] RDF/OWL Good Practices Task Group

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Sep 25 03:29:07 CEST 2011

The various responses are reassuring me that an RDF TG chartered (and
potentially rechartered) by the TAG would be fine as long as the goals
that are listed in the charter are an adequate "task" for the group.

Bob Morris wrote:

> The membership is listed on the Members link at
> http://www.tdwg.org/activities/tag/, which is generically the place to
> find the answer to 1. That said, a number(?) of IG's  still have huge
> membership probably with no interest but getting notices of activity
> of the IG, because until tdwg-content was born, each IG kept its own
> mailing list. Probably in practice the Core Members of an IG are the
> ones that would bear the brunt of keeping Task outputs current, or

I was afraid that this was going to be the answer.  This means the TAG
has 167 members (including me since I'm on the email list, what a
surprise!).  My browser won't let me look at the names beyond the first
50 people, so I can't actually see who all of the members are.  But out
of that first 50, I only see the names of a few people whom I recognize
as people who seem to actively be involved in the work of TDWG (at least
based on who is making posts to the tdwg-content list).  So I would
guess that many of those people fall into the category of people who
just wanted to get "notices of activity" as Bob put it.  Given my
newly-discovered power as a "member of the TAG" (whoa, does that make me
a member of the famed TDWG Illuminati - especially since my name can't
be seen on the list?!), I will exercise it by making a suggestion.  How
about setting up a webpage (it could be something like Google Code or
Google Groups if the TDWG website doesn't work, which often seems to be
the case) where people can sign up/volunteer to be members of the TAG
for a year.  Each year, the members would have to renew their membership
or they get dropped from the list.  That would provide a real list of
people who are currently serious about technical architecture issues.
The email list could stay as it is.  Similarly, this page could have an
updated list of the Core members.  I don't think that the list on the
charter (http://www.tdwg.org/activities/tag/charter/) is up to date
since it lists Roger Hyam as the Convener, but the group page,
http://www.tdwg.org/activities/tag/ (correctly) says that Greg Whitbread
is the Convener.  In addition to possibly making the TAG a more
functional group (e.g. how does the TAG have a "vote" when we have no
idea how many of the 167 members are actually serious participants?), it
would also go a long way towards getting rid of this idea that there is
a secret group in TDWG that wields power behind the scene.

On second thought, let's not make that a suggestion.  I'm making it an
actual proposal.

Steve

--
Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences

postal mail address:
VU Station B 351634
Nashville, TN  37235-1634,  U.S.A.

delivery address:
2125 Stevenson Center
1161 21st Ave., S.
Nashville, TN 37235

office: 2128 Stevenson Center
phone: (615) 343-4582,  fax: (615) 343-6707
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu