[tdwg-tag] Darwin Core generic XML with attributes

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Fri May 21 18:52:28 CEST 2010

Hi Steve:

On May 21, 2010, at 9:28 AM, Steve Baskauf wrote:

>  AJAX is "stupid" in the sense that it doesn't "understand" RDF.  It
> just uses an XML file as a source of data.  So an HTML file using
> the RDF+XML file as an AJAX data source would need to get the label
> information from within the particular RDF+XML file containing the
> representation of the GUID and not get it by dereferencing a link to
> another file, like the FOAF file that's the object of the
> dwc:recordedBy triple.

I'm not really following your argument here - maybe I'm missing some
detail. RDF can be serialized to XML (and in fact your example is
precisely such a serialization), so if your AJAX code needs XML as
source, there is one. There are also JavaScript libraries that can
invoke XSLTs on an XML source and render the resulting HTML (if that's
what you need), and finally, there are also RDF->JSON converters. So
I'm not sure where you see the bottleneck or hurdle.

	-hilmar
: Hilmar Lapp  -:- Durham, NC -:- informatics.nescent.org :