[tdwg-tag] time and space namespaces in Darwin Core

joel sachs jsachs at csee.umbc.edu
Fri Aug 6 17:01:02 CEST 2010

All,

When representing observation records in RDF, there are advantages to
using Dublin Core and Geo (http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/wgs84_pos#)
namespaces where possible. For example, if we use DC:date, and geo:lat,
geo:long, instead of DwC:eventDate, DwC:lat, and DwC:long, then Linked
Data browsers can automatically map the records, plot them on a timeline, etc.

My question is: What are the disadvantages to doing this? (For example,
is this going to break someone's DwC validator?)

Thanks -
Joel.