[tdwg-tag] Proposed Darwin Core term additions and changes: individualRemarks and establishmentMeans

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Aug 12 00:06:08 CEST 2010

In http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=70 I proposed
addition of the class Individual to Darwin Core.  In the discussion of
that proposal, the question was raised as to which existing DwC terms
should be a part of this class if it were added.  After considerable
thought and some work in developing RDF representations for Individuals,
I believe that the term establishmentMeans should be a member of the
proposed class.  It has also become clear to me that if the class is
introduced, there is a need for the term individualRemarks which would
serve a parallel purpose to other xxRemarks terms in DwC.  I have
provided implementation examples in the recommendations, which can be
found at
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=80
and
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=81

If you would like to discuss these proposals, please post on the
tdwg-contents list or add comments to the Google Code wiki.  I have
cross-posted to the tdwg-tag list, but I think any discussion would be
better held on the tdwg-content list, so please post there.

Steve Baskauf

--
Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences

postal mail address:
VU Station B 351634
Nashville, TN  37235-1634,  U.S.A.

delivery address:
2125 Stevenson Center
1161 21st Ave., S.
Nashville, TN 37235

office: 2128 Stevenson Center
phone: (615) 343-4582,  fax: (615) 343-6707
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu