[tdwg-tag] time and space namespaces in Darwin Core

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 05:19:35 CEST 2010

I was wondering if something like the following would be an acceptable
compromise for those who would like to expose their data using the geo
vocabulary.

geo:lat
geo:long
dwc:coordinateUncertaintyInMeters

The idea would be that RDF formatted in this way would be acceptable as
DarwinCore.

This would not prevent others from using the traditional dwc vocabulary.

The problem for many is that by using only the dwc version they use the
ability to take advantage of many existing tools and api's.

- Pete

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 10:01 AM, joel sachs <jsachs at csee.umbc.edu> wrote:

> All,
>
> When representing observation records in RDF, there are advantages to using
> Dublin Core and Geo (http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/wgs84_pos#)
> namespaces where possible. For example, if we use DC:date, and geo:lat,
> geo:long, instead of DwC:eventDate, DwC:lat, and DwC:long, then Linked Data
> browsers can automatically map the records, plot them on a timeline, etc.
>
> My question is: What are the disadvantages to doing this? (For example, is
> this going to break someone's DwC validator?)
>
> Thanks -
> Joel.

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology