[tdwg-tag] Darwin Core term management - dc:type, basisOfRecord, and recordClass

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 19 18:43:20 CET 2009

A fair bit of the confusion no doubt arises from the Decisions example
for Behavior. Allow me to clear that one up first. That decision was
meant as an example based on something that really did happen during
DwC development. It's only one of hundreds of decisions that were made
during development, and isn't meant to persist once we have a real
Decision to put in place. At the time that decision was made and
placed in that page, "Behavior" really was the term name, not
"behavior" - that change came later. Behavior really did have a domain
(rdfs:domain) of Event at that point. Subsequently all domain
assignments were removed for reasons given elsewhere, but summarized
as DwC is not meant to be an ontology, but rather a library of terms.
The alternative to the formal domain was a new attribute
dwcattributes:organizedInClass, and as you surmised, this is where we
make suggestions about which Class (a term having <rdf:type
rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class"/>) a
property term (a term having <rdf:type
rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property"/>)
should be associated with for human consumption.

A. So yes, you got it right, the object of the predicate
dwcattributes:organizedInClass for dwc:behavior is now meant to be
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/Occurrence.

B. Yes, you got it right again. The URI given for the Class in the
documentation (see
file:///C:/Data/DwC/darwincore/terms/index.htm#behavior)  means that
the object of the predicate dwcattributes:organizedInClass is the
stated Class.

C. Correct. Such an implication could end up faulty in an ontology
built from these terms. The term dwc:scientificName, for example,
could be used in different contexts.

D. Correct. The rdf:ID attributes will be removed and the white space
problem fixed in the next commit to the code site, with like commit to
rs.tdwg.org.

1. There are currently no domain assignments for terms in DwC. If a
term has a URI next to it in the documentation (Quick Reference or
Complete History), the URI is determined by the predicate
dwcattributes:organizedInClass. If it has the literal string "all" in
these pages it is meant to be a "record-level" term, which means it
could equally be organized in any of the DwC classes and would apply
to a whole record, regardless of the dcterms:type, dwc:basisOfRecord,
or proposed dwc:recordClass.

2. Correct. No DwC terms has a predefined range. Only the dcterms do.

3. "Domain" always means domain in the formal sense of rdfw:domain. It
is fair to say, as you did, that "an extension of DwC to valid OWL
should not assume that any relation between rdfs:domain and
dwcattributes:organizedInClass is intended by the DwC, which is
entirely silent on both rdfs:domain and rdfs:range for all of its
properties."

[I think your distaste for the interpretation above may be tempered by
the fact that the cited change to behavior occurred while domains were
still considered. They have since been abandoned to avoid
inappropriate assertions, such as a resource having a property
dwc:scientificName must be an instance of a dwc:Taxon. Such assertions
are to be made in ontologies, and distinct ontologies may differ as to
the domain of DwC terms. The idea is to build simple ontologies for
specific world views, and to construct world views of larger scope by
constructing further ontologies from these for particular purposes.
DwC makes no claim to understand or enforce any given world view.]