[tdwg-tag] LSID business model?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri May 1 13:12:16 CEST 2009

In re-reading my post, I am reminded of one other (quite legitimate)
objection to UUIDs as identfiers.  When embedded within an HTTP proxy, we
get the dreaded wrapping on certain email forums; to wit:

urn:lsid:zoobank.org:act:8BDC0735-FEA4-4298-83FA-D04F67C3FBEC (just because)
http://zoobank.org/urn:lsid:zoobank.org:act:8BDC0735-FEA4-4298-83FA-D04F67C3
FBEC (Human readable)
http://purl.zoobank.org/urn:lsid:zoobank.org:act:8BDC0735-FEA4-4298-83FA-D04
F67C3FBEC (to make Roger happy)
http://zoobank.org/authority/?lsid=urn:lsid:zoobank.org:act:8BDC0735-FEA4-42
98-83FA-D04F67C3FBEC (to make supporters of LSIDs happy)
http://zoobank.org/8BDC0735-FEA4-4298-83FA-D04F67C3FBEC (to make me happy)
http://uuid.tdwg.org/8BDC0735-FEA4-4298-83FA-D04F67C3FBEC (to make Dave
Vieglias happy)
http://lsid.tdwg.org/urn:lsid:zoobank.org:act:8BDC0735-FEA4-4298-83FA-D04F67
C3FBEC (to make Lee Belbin happy)
http://cache.gbif.org/?uuid=8BDC0735-FEA4-4298-83FA-D04F67C3FBEC (to make
Tim happy) ...and so on, and so on, and so on.

Ouch.

Oh, well....perhaps we need a tinyurl service to allow us to embed example
UUID resolvers within force-wrapped email-message forums.

Aloha,
RIch