[tdwg-tag] Re-organisation of TDWG Ontology: Danger silence will == acquiescence!

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Tue May 12 17:22:32 CEST 2009

I like to keep things simple, and like to play ball outside our
community. Wonderful blog post by Benjamin Good hints at this (http://i9606.blogspot.com/2009/05/cwa-at-ymca.html
  ), I suspect we may be guilty of over-engineering things a bit (that
said, I really appreciate the effort that's gone into this so far).

However, what I find more pressing than OWL + Protege, etc. would be
tools to validate metadata that's already in the wild. For example,
Zoobank has minted a LSID, urn:lsid:zoobank.org:pub:20B00870-7416-4583-ADE0-4302E5571B66
, that includes the triple:

tpub:url "doi: 10.3897/zookeys.10.157"

Now, "doi: 10.3897/zookeys.10.157" (note the space between "doi:" and
the start of the identifier) isn't, by any criterion, a URL.
Furthermore, there's actually a term in the vocabulary tpub:doi that
could be used for the DOI (but I'd argue we should use prism:doi). But
we also need to be careful how we write them (note the extraneous
space in the example above). And don't get me started on what can end
up in date fields.

Without some tools to quickly check the metadata that is being
produced, I suspect we are going to get a bit of a mess. A tool such
as http://feedvalidator.org would be a great help.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page