[tdwg-tag] Some Comments on implementing LSID's

Kevin Richards RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz
Tue Mar 24 05:33:54 CET 2009

Good to have your input Garry.

As I mentioned in my previous email, we are in the process of creating some services and software that will aid with LSID adoption.  Hopefully, one of these services is a hosting service that will allow people to create LSIDs and attach them to existing http resources, and have the hosting party (eg TDWG) handle the LSID resolution process.  This should overcome this technical barrier and help a lot of people in this situation.

And yes, some of the code base is aging now (as is the case with the majority of software in the world).  However, more recent code bases have been developed, and you could even use your own very simple custom service to handle LSID resolution (it does not have to be the full blown service as is provided by the java code base).  See the tdwg page http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/GUID/LsidSoftwareInventory for code options.  On that page you will find an example of the simplest LSID service I know - the "lean PHP Resolver", which demonstrates the simplest way to implement LSIDs.

Kevin