[tdwg-tag] SourceForge LSID project websites broken -role forTDWG?

Beach, James H beach at ku.edu
Tue Mar 31 17:46:30 CEST 2009

I agree.

But before characterizing with finality, the professional rank of our
community in its efforts here (professional, amateur, cottage, fan
boys), I think we need to allow for the funding and evaluation context
within which we strive.  Our community relies on grant support, whereas
book and journal publishers, aggregators, libraries, etc. have a huge
economic incentive to create a stable ID and cross-linkage
infrastructure.

Show me a foundation that understands the value of investing in
long-term, stable, supported *research community-enabling*,
international, cyberinfrastructure and in the importance of measuring
its impact, and I'll show you people with insight and vision.   Moore
Foundation with its modest but vital funding of TDWG 4-5 years ago
displayed such a flash of insight.

James H. Beach
Biodiversity Institute
University of Kansas