[tdwg-tag] NCBI taxonomy in RDF

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Sat Jul 11 19:25:52 CEST 2009

I've been playing with expressing the NCBI taxonomy in TDWG RDF. The
results are described at http://iphylo.blogspot.com/2009/07/ncbi-rdf.html
  (see also http://iphylo.blogspot.com/2009/07/ncbi-taxonomy-tdwg-vocabularies-and-rdf.html
  for some background).

It's still incomplete (I've not put links up and down the tree yet),
but for now the focus is on expressing links to nomenclators that
support LSIDs (such as IPNI and Index Fungorum) so that I can annotate
the NCBI taxonomy via SPARQL queries.

One minor comment, the property "rankString" has been deprecated
(apparently), but it makes sense to retain this as there may well be
ranks that a classification has that aren't in the TDWG vocabulary.
Hence, I'd be keen for this NOT to be deprecated.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy