[tdwg-tag] NCBI taxonomy in RDF

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Sun Jul 12 21:55:18 CEST 2009

Dear Rod (et al)

On holiday and just checked my email and for once I had time to respond - how sad.... anyway, I agree with you that the rank in taxon concept should not be deprecated. It was originally included for several reasons (none of them nomenclators' views, although their view is as important as any other). For example, a taxonomist might want to record information about a concept he/she is defining and might have decided the rank before the name is formally published but still wants to be able to refer to it and pass the information around or someone like an ecologist might want to describe a taxon they see in the field and refer to some name but use it as a different rank. Sounds like you have yet another reason. I can't say why it was deprecated except that the nomenclators thought it belonged to names - but then they only see the world from their point of view which is what we tried to avoiding when defining TCS. WE tried to accommodate what users of names and concepts of all kinds wanted to do.

Jessie