[tdwg-tag] Fwd: [Tc] Geo URI proposal in draft stage in the IETF

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 13:55:59 CEST 2009

Hi Bob,
You make several good points and I hope that this moves forward.

I am less thrilled about not standardizing on WGS84.

We have agreed to use metric and other standards and I think that
data expressed using other Datum's will be largely misinterpreted.

Arthur Chapman has convinced me that it may be impossible to
get users to upload their GPS data in WGS84, but I think that
it would be best if GBIF and others converted the data in regional
Datum's into WGS84 and exposed it as WGS84.

Encouraging the use of regional Datum's instead of WGS84 will
likely lead to a number of scientific mistakes.

I am sure your are familiar with these stories, but others on the list
may not.

Math error equals loss of Mars orbiter
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_15_156/ai_57155808/
*NASA reported Sept. 30 that it had lost the $125 million Mars Climate
Orbiter because the force exerted by the orbiter's thrusters remained in the
system of units based on pounds and feet rather than being converted to
metric.*
In 1985, he notes, controllers calculated distance in feet rather than
nautical miles and inadvertantly pointed a mirror on the space shuttle
Discovery away from Earth instead of toward a laser on Hawaii's Mauna Kea.
*
*
- Pete
*