[tdwg-tag] dwcterms (was: Embedding specimen (and other) annotations in NeXML)

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at duke.edu
Thu Feb 26 03:23:44 CET 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 3:44 PM, John R. WIECZOREK wrote:

> [...]
> I think this is a result of not including
> xmlns="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/ in the rdf:RDF section. Now all
> of those terms with IDs and no namespaces should have the
> xmlns="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/ namespace and the unintended
> collision will go away. Correct?

That doesn't help with that really. I think what you want here is
using xml:base rather than xmlns="...".

> [...]
> Vocabulary has been removed to its own file
> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/rdf/dwctype.rdf.

Looks great, and the proper inheritance is there. Cool!

> [...]
> Updated the mime-types in the rs.tdwg.org repository. These had only
> been set in the development repository.

Oddly enough the mime-type is still text/html (maybe you need to tell
apache to serve them with the right mime type?).

The http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/rdf/dwcterms.rdf has a syntax error now in
the rdf:RDF element attributes - the last xmlns="..." attribute lacks
the closing double quote, which of course makes the XML parser bomb.

When I add that, the content looks great, except that all terms are
duplicated, once with a local URI and once with the http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/
  URI. Replacing the last xmlns="..." attribute with xml:base (while
keeping the value) fixes this partially. Terms are still duplicated,
now once with and once without the leading hash but otherwise the same
base URI.

I can fix that by replacing rdf:ID with rdf:about. rdf:ID creates
local instances, so maybe that's what you wanted to do, but if not,
rdf:about would be the more appropriate attribute anyway (i.e., you
are describing a resource, namely the term).

After that, the only remaining issue is that term URIs with the http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/
  base URI don't resolve. They aren't mandated to, but using term URIs
that don't resolve don't allow anyone to retrieve any semantics (or
even the label). Can you instruct the web server (through redirect,
for example) to make them resolve?

	-hilmar
: Hilmar Lapp  -:-  Durham, NC  -:- hlapp at duke dot edu :