[tdwg-tag] [tdwg-content] taxonomic rank terms

Roger Hyam rogerhyam at mac.com
Mon Dec 21 10:06:28 CET 2009

Peter/Kevin,

Sorry for delayed reply.

The warning note on the top of the TDWG ontology really does mean what it says.

I have just been working through TaxonConcept, TaxonName and TaxonRank. Although I hope to change the files are arranged this won't effect the URIs or their meaning - especially the ranks.

The only area in the taxon name/concept vocabularies where I would like to use the hatchet is in the taxon Relationship. I believe this is superfluous and just plain confusing. Instead of being able to simply say SpeciesA includes SpeciesB we have to say SpeciesA has a Relationship and the relationship has a target taxon of SpeciesB and is of type includes! Here I'd like to cut things down to simple properties of TaxonConcept.

I will write a fuller explanation of any proposed changes when I have finished so that we can fully discuss it. I'll do this on the tdwg-content list and we can spin it out into issues in a tracker of some kind.

All the best,

Roger

N.B. I am only looking at the bit that concerns me at the moment i.e. Taxon stuff not all the occurrence stuff.