[tdwg-tag] LSID Sourceforge URL & LSID Best Practices

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at duke.edu
Thu Aug 27 19:19:05 CEST 2009

The site is fixed and back to life. Thanks to Tim for granting me
access. Gory details below. I haven't check all links, so it may not
all work. If you find something that doesn't, let us know.

	-hilmar

It turns out I was wrong about it using WordPress. Instead it uses a
custom-installed Typo3 (http://typo3.com) as the CMS. The installation
was referring to a location for web-application file storage that does
no longer exist. I created the necessary file structure at the new
location, and restored the content from a backup I found among the
website files, which was apparently taken Apr 7, 2008.

SourceForge backed up the files from the old webserver file storage
location, but at a location that's not accessible through the normal
shell access. Due to the nested directory structure I would need to
use something like rsync to pull it down recursively, and if we
encounter problems with the restore from backup I can look into that.
However, looking around there and spot checking the files seemed to be
all of the same date and size as in the backup I used for restoring,
so maybe we're good already in terms of having the latest version
before it all went broke. BTW this must have happened on Sep 18, 2008;
I guess the site was broken for almost a year ...

SourceForge now provides hosted apps that are customizable but
maintained by Sf.net. Not surprisingly, they advise against installing
your own, as projects have to maintain and upgrade those themselves. I
have enabled MediaWiki and WordPress but there are other options too (https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Hosted%20Apps
). Sooner or later the content should be probably migrated away from
the custom Typo3 installation to one of these hosted applications,
unless someone knows of a specific advantage of sticking with Typo3.

: Hilmar Lapp  -:-  Durham, NC  -:- hlapp at duke dot edu :