[tdwg-tag] SourceForge LSID project websites broken - role for TDWG?

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at duke.edu
Fri Apr 3 19:54:54 CEST 2009

On Apr 3, 2009, at 1:23 PM, Peter DeVries wrote:

> [...]
> 3) LSIDs increase the implementation costs significantly beyond the
> costs required for domain registration and a web server.

I think you'll find plenty of people who will argue that the cost of
minting persistent GUIDs is much higher than the cost of a web server
and domain registration in any event, and that it might be a Good
Thing(tm) if an identifier system doesn't pretend otherwise.

> [...] 4) Tim Berners-Lee feels that LSIDs are unnecessary, and
> after spending several years looking at this issue I think he is
> right. Even if TBL is wrong, you have positioned yourself for an
> uphill battle for adoption.

He has been wrong before. More to the point, I don't think this has
to matter. In 1998 he would have probably said that DOIs are
unnecessary. They may indeed be, from a technological standpoint, but
from a social and business (sustainability) standpoint they've
clearly been hugely successful. So I think the question that matters
much more is, is there (or will there be) a similar ecosystem and
environment for LSIDs that will make them equally useful. That's what
I'm less sure about.

Also, I think we ought not to confuse one use-case for GUIDs (such as
linked data) with the requirements for an identifier system for
biodiversity.

	-hilmar

BTW if anyone feels this is a long discussion that has been had
before, check out the thread that begins with "registering info:
uris" on the Code4Lib list (http://www.mail-archive.com/code4lib%
40listserv.nd.edu/) It turns out they struggle with similar questions
(and also not for the first time), except in a library context, which
might be much closer to a museum context than a semweb research
community.

: Hilmar Lapp  -:-  Durham, NC  -:- hlapp at duke dot edu :