[tdwg-tag] Differences in thinking between TDWG and LinkedData groups about data sharing / integration

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 02:50:14 CEST 2009

Can't let this great opportunity pass...  :)

It is not just us.  It is the regrettable human condition.  See also:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/infrastructure/management/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=216600011

<diatribe_alert/>

One of the intriguing and enigmatic things about TDWG is that it does
not seem to respect its own standards, preferring to invent another
set rather than fix or enhance what is already there.  More than the
'not invented here' syndrome, we have to deal with 'not invented here
this week' and the user is left with the impression of a happy
self-absorbed group chasing a flock of flitting butterflies - 'oh,
that's pretty, I will try and catch that one'.  Yep, just the human
condition.  In another context, Roger H,
http://www.hyam.net/blog/archives/346, has provided the best
description of TDWG and its standards I think I have ever heard: "It
is kind of like the guy selling seagulls on the beach. You give him £5
and he points into the sky and says 'That one is yours'. Yes he is
providing a service but the relationship that counts is the one
between you and the gull."  This is both profound and frightening in
how close it is to reality.

On the complexity and costs of implementation, you are absolutely
right.  Taxonomic database standards have moved out of the domain of
taxonomists, they no longer understand what we are talking about
(hell, I no longer understand what we are talking about.  And the rest
of you?  c'mon now, be honest... :) and we are left with this
relationship of 'trust us' paternalism that I do not think is all that
healthy - we all trust and respect Microsoft, right?. It is getting
increasingly difficult give advice to a bod with a beat up PC in a
developing country on what they should do - the alphabet soup
surrounding GUIDS and the like just does not cut it when the mind set
is an Excel spreadsheet with a bunch of intuitive headings.  Oh, I'm
sorry - you mean it is not just in developing countries?  There is a
widening gap between 'Joe the Taxonomist' and business of taxonomy
data standards that we do not seem to be able to address (do we even
care?).  We used to be able to give our staff in the herbarium a TDWG
standard and say 'this is what we have to do.'  Not anymore...  Ah,
the good ole days...  Maybe the answer lies in the hegemony of a new
and benevolent  'MSOffice for Taxonomy'.  Could work, but I do not
think it is going to be particularly satisfying.

On the reuse issue, Greg W argues that we do not do nearly enough of
this and I agree with him.  He argues that TDWG should focus on the
standard and not the application and implementation of the standard
and has proposed that in our vocabularies we should adopt the
principles of nomenclatural priority, that is, going back to *Dublin*
Core, adding stuff chronologically from other other standards,
including our own, until there is no option other than to invent
another one, or there is nothing in our domain left to standardize.
For taxonomists there is something inherently attractive in this
approach - don't describe a taxon where it already exists, don't
invent a standard where one already exists.  To retrofit this and
untangle all the synonymy and homonymy in our existing standards and
implementations is going to take a lot of work though.  But the
vocabularies and ontologies are a good start.

On the 'branding, issue, it is not so much branding but attribution.
Apart from the moral and legal issues, it is unscientific not to
attribute, source and provide lineage for data.  The is no
optionality.  We have to do it.  Even if the initial supplier
'disappears'.  *Especially* if the initial supplier disappears.
Attribution (branding if you like) is absolutely essential for
credibility.  If someone is not going to do it, they can not have our
data, and we will not use theirs.

On the architectural issue, I can not really get all that hung up on
it.  If a standard is good, it should be able to be implemented in a
number of architectures (isn't that almost a definition of
interoperability?).  Where things get 'interesting' is when
architecture (and the continuum towards application) becomes the
standard or part of the standard.  TDWG needs to constantly ask itself
to what extent it needs to get involved with implementation of the
standards it promotes.  I would argue 'not at all', but this is
another discussion.

And the 'insider' cabalistic nature of TDWG?   What can I say - it has
always been this way.  A standard attracts a champion and the champion
establishes a fiefdom of acolytes around it.  Yep, the human
condition.  And it sort of works.  Some of the time.  (btw - another
artifact of the human condition - your brilliant ideas are never
perceived as such until someone else has them - just ask poor old
Wallace how he is feeling this year).  A downside of this approach is
that the various TDWG standards are very poorly coordinated between
each other - this is something we should be able to do something
about.

We could piss on the TDWG tent from the outside, but you have to
agree, it is much more satisfying to get inside the tent and piss on
and piss off everyone in it...  :)

<disclaimer>None of the above ideas are mine.  I am following the TDWG
standard practice of restating them without attribution :)
</disclaimer>

Ah... that was fun...

jim