[tdwg-tag] GUID Persistence as Zen kōan

Robert Huber rhuber at wdc-mare.org
Fri Apr 24 11:05:21 CEST 2009

Roger,

I think we should start think how to improve the situation. In my
opinion the situation could significantly improved if there would be
some audit method, thus certificate for trustworthy GUIDs. There are
several initiatives working on audit methods for long term archives
why not adopting such a procedure for LSID authorities?
I have posted some ideas in my blog here:
http://stratigraphynet.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-trust-persitence-of-guids.html

best regards,
Robert

2009/4/23 Roger Hyam <rogerhyam at mac.com>:

> For those of you who can take any more of it I have posted my thoughts
> on persistence of GUIDs to my blog.
>
> http://www.hyam.net/blog/archives/346
>
> If you don't have the time or patience to read it the summary is:
>
> GUID Persistence == diddly squat
>
> Your comments are welcome.
>
> All the best,
>
> Roger

Dr. Robert Huber,

WDC-MARE / PANGAEA - www.pangaea.de
Stratigraphy.net - www.stratigraphy.net
MARUM - Institute for Marine Environmental Sciences (location)
University Bremen
Leobener Strasse
POP 330 440
28359 Bremen
Phone ++49 421 218-65593, Fax ++49 421 218-65505
e-mail rhuber at wdc-mare.org