[tdwg-tag] LSID business model?

Tim Robertson trobertson at gbif.org
Tue Apr 28 11:06:05 CEST 2009

Probably no one knew about it, but TDWG did offer to help with this
(for free) for a long time (since Aug 2007), but no one took it up I
believe:

http://www.tdwg.org/activities/online-services/lsid-authority-ids/

I think the idea is worth exploring further.  Perhaps a quick "hands
up who wants this?" vote to canvas interest?

Crazy idea:
I would propose taking it further and suggesting "centralising" a
cache of the LSID response also (configurable expiry date on items in
the cache), to alleviate load on servers (thinking of IPNI for
example).  It would not be drastically expensive to offer a billion
LSID cache with high availability with cloud computing ("centralised"
in the sense that it is on a distributed cloud such as Amazon S3 +
Cloudfront).  We could share Amazon S3 as a data store and everyone
just pays for their own PUT cost ($0.01 for 1000 records) and then
share the bandwidth cost.  I think this is worth exploring regardless
of GUID technology used... What was it Rod said - "distributed begets
centralized"

Tim