[tdwg-tag] Where to put LSIDs on tdwg ontology objects

Richardson, Ben Ben.Richardson at dec.wa.gov.au
Mon Oct 6 09:29:15 CEST 2008

Bob

I've been trying to figure out how I would represent our census data in the TaxonName ontology, and had come up with, e.g.:

  <tn:TaxonName rdf:about="urn:lsid:dec.wa.gov.au:wacensus:32219">
    <tn:rank rdf:resource="http://rs.tdwg.org/ontology/voc/TaxonRank#Subspecies"/>
    <tn:hasBasionym>
      <tn:TaxonName rdf:about="urn:lsid:dec.wa.gov.au:wacensus:20354">
        <dcterms:created>Thu Jun 12 00:00:00 WST 2003</dcterms:created>
        <tn:nomenclaturalCode rdf:resource="http://rs.tdwg.org/ontology/voc/TaxonName#ICBN"/>
        <tn:genusPart>Dryandra</tn:genusPart>
        <tn:rank rdf:resource="http://rs.tdwg.org/ontology/voc/TaxonRank#Subspecies"/>
        <tn:rankString>subsp.</tn:rankString>
        <tn:infraspecificEpithet>chrysophoenix</tn:infraspecificEpithet>
        <tn:basionymFor rdf:resource="urn:lsid:dec.wa.gov.au:wacensus:32219"/>
        <tn:specificEpithet>ionthocarpa</tn:specificEpithet>
        <dcterms:modified>Mon Mar 17 00:00:00 WST 2008</dcterms:modified>
        <tn:nameComplete>Dryandra ionthocarpa subsp. chrysophoenix</tn:nameComplete>
        <tn:authorship>A.S.George</tn:authorship>
        <tcom:publishedIn>Nuytsia 15:341-342, Fig 1d (2005)</tcom:publishedIn>
        <dc:title>Dryandra ionthocarpa subsp. chrysophoenix A.S.George</dc:title>
      </tn:TaxonName>
    </tn:hasBasionym>
    <tn:authorship>(A.S.George) A.R.Mast &amp; K.R.Thiele</tn:authorship>
    <tn:genusPart>Banksia</tn:genusPart>
    <tn:infraspecificEpithet>chrysophoenix</tn:infraspecificEpithet>
    <tn:rankString>subsp.</tn:rankString>
    <tcom:publishedIn>Nuytsia 16:475 (2007)</tcom:publishedIn>
    <dc:title>Banksia ionthocarpa subsp. chrysophoenix (A.S.George) A.R.Mast &amp; K.R.Thiele</dc:title>
    <tn:nameComplete>Banksia ionthocarpa subsp. chrysophoenix</tn:nameComplete>
    <dcterms:created>Mon Mar 17 00:00:00 WST 2008</dcterms:created>
    <tn:nomenclaturalCode rdf:resource="http://rs.tdwg.org/ontology/voc/TaxonName#ICBN"/>
    <dcterms:modified>Wed Mar 26 00:00:00 WST 2008</dcterms:modified>
    <tn:specificEpithet>ionthocarpa</tn:specificEpithet>
  </tn:TaxonName>

Jena writes out the hasBasionym as a child of the main TaxonName if I am able to find a basionym for a name, which surprised me, as I didn't have to do anything special to get this representation. I'm not completely sure that we're talking about the same thing -- we both seem to be talking about intra-document references -- Jena does at least one kind of reference by default.

Cheers,
Ben