[tdwg-tag] State of biodiversity services

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Tue Oct 7 19:44:37 CEST 2008

The rather frail nature of biodiversity services (some of the major
players have had service breaks in the last few weeks) has prompted me
to revisit Dave Vieglais's BigDig and extend it to other services,
such as uBio, EOL, and TreeBASE, as well as DSpace repositories and
tools such as Connotea.

The result is at http://bioguid.info/status/ . The idea is to poll
each service once an hour to see if it is online. Eventually I hope to
draw some graphs for each service, to get some idea of how reliable it
is.

Much of my own work depends on using web sites and services, and I'm
constantly frustrated when they go offline (some times for months at a
time).

My aim is to be constructive. I well aware that reliability is not
easy, and some tools that I've developed have disappeared. But I think
as a community we need to do a lot better if biodiversity informatics
is to deliver on its promise.

The list of service is biased by what I use. I'm also aware that some
of the DiGIR provider information is out of date (I basically lifted
the list from the BigDig, I'll try and edit this as time allows).

Comments (and requests for services to be added) are welcome. There is
a comment box at the bottom of the web page.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy