[tdwg-tag] Are DOIs expensive?

Roger Hyam rogerhyam at mac.com
Wed Nov 26 13:06:09 CET 2008

My point is that unlike any "open" identifier system if the DOI
authority go in a direction we (or our decendants) don't like (become
unreliable or ask for too much money) DOI actually own the identifies
(they are trade marked). Setting up an alternative resolution service
may not be legally permitted. So our data may be tagged with GUIDs we
are legally not permitted to set up resolvers for (e.g. A parallel
handle system perhaps). Compare this to something like DNS where,
should the existing system disappear tomorrow, we could set up our own
system with our own root servers for free because the standards are
open.

Roger