[tdwg-tag] Elsevier Grand Challenge Demo

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu Nov 27 10:50:53 CET 2008

Dear All,

Some of you might be interested in my entry for the Elsevier Life
Sciences Grand Challenge. The site is http://iphylo.org/~rpage/challenge/www/
  , which also has some links to the Challenge web site. Basically,
using Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution as a starting point, I've
constructed pages for journal articles, GenBank records, specimens,
taxa, etc., and provided links between them (e.g., paper x cites
sequence y, which in turn has specimen z as a voucher). It's all a bit
rushed (deadline for the contest is this weekend), but I hope it gives
some sense of what can happen when we start to link things together
(i.e., make things digitally available, give them stable identifiers,
and share those identifiers).

Some useful starting links

The specimen CAS 199007, which is a voucher for one sequences, which
has been cited twice
http://iphylo.org/~rpage/challenge/www/uri/5042b74dea91280d85a16f9271826cc3

A paper on Gammarus, which shares data with six other studies

http://iphylo.org/~rpage/challenge/www/uri/9b5f73ba1142519b57117afb80605f5b

A paper on birds, which mistakenly lists a fish sequence

http://iphylo.org/~rpage/challenge/www/uri/9b5f73ba1142519b57117afb80605f5b

One outcome of this is that I image we could derive citation metrics
for things other than scientific papers, such as specimens,
sequences,  etc. That is, we could quantify the "value" of these data.

Comments/brickbats welcome.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page