[tdwg-tapir] Abundance data

Tim Robertson trobertson at gbif.org
Fri Nov 28 17:14:27 CET 2008

Hi T. Bar

You might consider the OBIS extensions for Darwin Core since you are
concerned with marine stuff.

http://iobis.org/obis/obis.xsd

SampleSize:  the size of the sample from which the collection/
observation was drawn.  It can be a volume (e.g. for a phytoplankton
sample), a linear distance (e.g. for a visual transect or net haul), a
surface area (e.g. for a benthic core), etc.  This field must also
include the units, e.g. 200 mfor a transect, or 0.25 m^2 for a benthic
grab (use ^ to denote a superscript).  Note that when multiple
collections/observations are reported from the same physical sample, a
code identifying the sample can be placed in the Field_Number field to
allow all collections/observations from a single sample to be connected.

IndividualCount is a count of specimens (e.g. not a count of
species).  If you want to indicate multiple species, then you would
have a record for each along with the identification and the count  of
individuals of that species.

So in the OBIS schema you have:
ObservedIndividualCount: The number of individuals (abundance) found
in a collection/record event.

Cheers,
Tim