[tdwg-tag] OASIS reference arcitecture for SOA availble for review

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Sat May 10 15:12:01 CEST 2008

Maybe.

It seems pretty interesting as a vocabulary, but not much else. The
kicker is Section 6, the last in the document, which in its entirety
is:

    6 Conformance
    This Reference Architecture is an abstract architecture, which
means that it is especially difficult to construct automated tests for
conformance to the architecture. However, in order to be conformant to
this  architecture, it should be possible to identify in a concrete
implementation the key concepts and components of this architecture,
albeit in abstracted form.

Although I probably will take it on airplanes for further reading, I'm
fairly sure that I got the gist in the 20 minutes I spent to get
through all 102 pages, because by page 30, I had already constructed
in my head what was more-or-less exactly section 6 above.

I perused the document with an initial skepticism that arose from the
absence of representation on the committee of any organization,
commercial or not, that has SOA products. As best I can tell, the
document was written by \builders/ of SOAs. Some of the major tools
they use, such as Enterprise Service Bus platforms, which while not
specific to SOAs, are often the major building block. I am also
suspicious of documents that use UML as a metaphor but claim they are
using it as a specification.
(Expounding on that point requires a separate, long, piece, better put
on a wiki than email....)

Finally, OASIS is not the only one trying to specify SOA, only the
longest in the game. See also
http://www.opengroup.org/projects/soa/doc.tpl?CALLER=index.tpl&gdid=13577,
which doesn't seem to be very far along.

Bob