[tdwg-tapir] Fwd: Tapir protocol - Harvest methods?

Aaron D. Steele asteele at berkeley.edu
Wed May 21 21:01:57 CEST 2008

it's my intuition that harvesting data in *different formats* is going
to become a dominant use case handled by data providers worldwide. for
example, some clients will want csv or star, while others will want
xml or sqlite. i'd like to explore adding a simple plug-in
architecture to tapirlink that, given a format plug-in (for example,
csv_plugin.php), creates a resource data dump in that format which can
be zip archived (along with any other metadata files required by the
format) and downloaded by clients. in this way, as new formats are
requested by the community, new format plug-ins can be added. it's a
simple approach that's scalable, improves interoperability with
clients, and avoids the need to agree on single format to support.

i'd also like to explore using a new 'harvest' tapir operation to
facilitate harvest requests. for example:

tapir.php/myresource?op=harvest&format=csv&sbn=604800

the optional sbn parameter above stands for seconds before now. you
can interpret the above request as:

"i want to download a csv dump of myresource only if it has been
created within the last week (604,800 seconds)."

this approach might be somewhat controversial since it involves
potential changes in the tapir protocol that not everyone agrees with.
on the other hand, after consulting with renato and john, i don't see
any harm with prototyping these new features, and giving the community
the opportunity to experiment with concrete harvesting functionality
before coming to a general consensus.

if you're keen on collaborating, i've created a new branch to
prototype these ideas in:
https://digir.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/digir/tapirlink/branches/harvest

thoughts? concerns?

thanks,