[tdwg-tapir] DwC extensions

Renato De Giovanni renato at cria.org.br
Thu May 29 22:43:35 CEST 2008

John et al.,

I think it's a good idea to use a survey to test for consensus, but it
should be as simple as possible. I would suggest perhaps two questions:

--------------
1- Would you be satisfied if the current DarwinCore and its two extensions
(curatorial and geospatial) become an official standard? (even if you
don't fully agree with everything).

yes/no

2- If not, what do you think should still be improved/fixed?

[text]
---------------

Regarding your questions, maybe it would be interesting to move the
discussion to the Wiki so that more people can participate and all answers
can be visualized together.

I agree with Dave that it's important to define the nature of DwC.
Personally, I see it as an XML vocabulary, not a real data model as the
TDWG ontology.

Now my answers:

1) Yes, I agree that species occurrence would be the right scope for the
core. However, I agree with Hannu that some concepts in the core can
easily cause confusion when interpreted by field observers. A few
adjustments in concept names and perhaps a new observation extension could
be worthwhile.

As a side note, if we decide to make any changes in the existing schemas
it's important to change the namespace because they are already being used
by providers. It's possible to map concepts from two schemas if they have
different namespaces (see http://rs.tdwg.org/tapir/cs/mappings/) allowing
providers to easily upgrade their configuration when necessary.

2) Fully agree with Dave.

3) Fully agree with Dave and Hannu.

4) I tend to agree with John, unless we expect that a few
observation/specimen data providers will be able to offer additional GUIDs
(such as taxon concept GUIDs) in the next years. I doubt this will happen
soon, but I may be wrong.

5) I see the current application schema more as an example. There can be
as many application schemas as necessary from TAPIR's perspective. This
one works well for flat data structures. ABCD or something along the lines
of Markus' new schema would be better options when there can be repeatable
elements.

6) Fully agree with John's answer. I think it's important to allow data
cleaning through valid XML instances.

Best Regards,
--
Renato