[tdwg-tapir] TAPIR & HTTP

Renato De Giovanni renato at cria.org.br
Wed Jun 4 15:32:42 CEST 2008

Dear all,

Although TAPIR is layered on top of HTTP, the existing documents
(including the spec) don't mention anything about HTTP versions.

I was recently asked about this because it seems that providers that
are installed on HTTP/1.1 servers are starting to reject HTTP/1.0
requests, probably for security reasons.

I think we should be more explicit in the specification about the
minimum HTTP version compatible with TAPIR. In this case HTTP/1.0
(the previous version didn't even have the POST method).

This means that a TAPIR provider can potentially be installed on an
HTTP/1.0 or 1.1 server. In both cases, technically there should be no
problem to process requests in either HTTP/1.0 or 1.1 (1.0 servers
will simply ignore 1.1 extensions, and 1.1 servers are "expected" to
be able to easily handle requests in previous versions, as noted in
the HTTP/1.1 RFC).

Anyway, considering the fact that HTTP/1.1 servers are starting to
deny 1.0 requests, I could add a recommendation for TAPIR clients to
always send requests in HTTP/1.1. This would not be a "protocol
rule", just a pragmatic recommendation, so I would probably add this
in the TAPIR network builders' guide instead of the spec.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions in this
respect.

Best Regards,
--
Renato