[tdwg-guid] LSID URN namespace registration

Jonathan Rees jar at creativecommons.org
Fri Feb 15 13:35:31 CET 2008

LSID still is not in the IANA URN namespace registry:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-namespaces
so from a standards perspective LSID is rogue.

The process for applying is straightforward (see RFC 2611). I3C
should have done this but never did. I suggest that someone who cares
about LSIDs should just submit the application and be done with it.
 From my limited perspective it appears that TDWG might be in an
ideal position to do this: technical savvy, organizational stability,
a driving need...

Jonathan