[tdwg-guid] Testing TCS and some ideas on GUIDs and ontologies: ranking synomymies

Robert Huber rhuber at wdc-mare.org
Thu Feb 28 12:12:18 CET 2008

Dear all,

I just have finished a TCS XML  demo page at:
http://taxonconcept.stratigraphy.net/taxon_tcs?taxid=793
which is a TCS representation of synonym list (concepts) data on the taxon
'Subbotina patagonica' published by Berggren & Norris (1997) and Pearson et
al. (2006), see a html output here:
http://taxonconcept.stratigraphy.net/taxon_details?taxid=793

The XML valdates against the schema, but of course, what I have implemented
is a 'interpretation' of the standard, e.g. I have now summarized the two
synonymies to one DataSet, and I am not sure if this granularity makes
sense. So I would like to ask you to check if the output looks reasonable.

I was really happy to see how good TCS fits to my data and after I have seen
the first results I realized how good this fits to an experiment I was
trying some months ago:

I tried to apply the Google PageRank algorithm to synonymies and as a first
attempt I calculated what I called TaxonRank. I have provided some more info
on this here:
http://stratigraphynet.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-taxonrank-works.html (+ my
geoinformatics community prepared a special volume on ontologies etc and I
have also submitted a paper to Computers&Geosciences which will be published
soon).

After seeing the TCS XML output and reading many RDF and ontology related
mailing list contributions I wonder if anybody has ever thought about doing
something like this before?
My tests are on synonymy list (concepts) only, but I think similar
approaches could lead to interesting results also if applied to e.g.
genetics. And..wouldn't be ranking based on such ontologies a killer
application for GUIDs?
apologies for cross posting..

Robert
--
Dr. Robert Huber,

WDC-MARE / PANGAEA - www.pangaea.de
Stratigraphy.net - www.stratigraphy.net
MARUM - Institute for Marine Environmental Sciences (location)
University Bremen
Leobener Strasse
POP 330 440
28359 Bremen
Phone ++49 421 218-65593, Fax ++49 421 218-65505
e-mail rhuber at wdc-mare.org