[tdwg-guid] Need for citation information in GUID metadata

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira ricardo at tdwg.org
Tue Nov 6 22:45:51 CET 2007

    Dear Greg,

    The issue you describe is indeed much more general. It all boils
down to defining metadata standards for images used in our community. In
other words, if we had metadata standards for images, we could use them
to address the requirement you described.

    The (informal) TDWG Imaging Interest Group
(http://www.tdwg.org/activities/img/) has the remit of developing such a
metadata profile, but as far as I know, it hasn't done so yet.

    In the absence of such an image metadata profile, we, the GUID
group, or the TAG, could spec out a temporary solution that could later
be superseded by a more complete solution devised by the Imaging group.
I believe that this is what you are proposing.

    As an initial, temporary solution to let page generators build links
to images on the web using LSID metadata, I would suggest the use of
relevant Dublin Core metadata terms such as title and description,
format. Other DC tags could be used as well. These tags are described on
the web page below.

http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#H2

    The problem is that there are no tags to point to a thumbnail. There
is the Image vocabulary type, but that doesn't let a client distinguish
between the actual, full size image and a thumbnail (not sure if that's
a helpful distinction anyway). To accommodate that, we should create our
own term for referring to thumbnails.

    Does that sound like a feasible approach to solve this issue? Does
the imaging group have any better solution to this problem?

    Cheers,

Ricardo