[tdwg-guid] BioGUID

Donald Hobern dhobern at gbif.org
Wed Mar 21 16:38:47 CET 2007

Rod,

I'd just like to support your suggestion that DOIs are the obvious
choice wherever we need a GUID for interacting with publishers or
ensuring citability, and certainly for any elements which may require
special handling (e.g. alternate views for subscribers and the
general public).

In case there is any confusion over the outcomes of the TDWG
workshops on GUIDs, the conclusion there was that different
identifier models were likely to be appropriate in different
situations.  The general recommendation to adopt LSIDs was because
they were lightweight at the time of issuing (no need to register
them centrally) and could be resolved without a dependency on a
single central service.  At the same time, the choice of a URN-based
identifier scheme rather than HTTP URIs still seems (at least to me)
to be a benefit because we want to be able to assign identifiers
which (at least in principle) are not tied to the current (albeit
seemingly omnipresent) HTTP technologies - many of the objects we
wish to identify have already had a valuable existence far longer
than the Internet Age.  In cases needing a more centralised and
potentially robust solution, and where linkage to the publishing
world is desired, DOIs are often likely to be the preferred choice.

Donald