[tdwg-guid] First step in implementing LSIDs

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Sat Jun 9 17:17:59 CEST 2007

Bob,

SPARQL will handle URIs that aren't HTTP URIs. For example, I can
perform SPARQL queries on uBio RDF that has some namespaces and
resources identified by LSIDs.

By Semantic web tools I'm thinking more generally, such as data
browsers and triple stores, that is, anything that reads RDF and
expects to be able to follow any resource in the RDF. If those
resources aren't HTTP URIs then these tools won't know how to fetch
them.

One case where SPARQL does need HTTRP URIs is the "FROM" statement,
where it can fetch data from the web as part of the query.

Rod

On 9 Jun 2007, at 14:54, Bob Morris wrote:

> a. To the best of my understanding, nothing in the RDF syntax implies
> that the URI scheme must be the  HTTP URI scheme, common as that is.
>
> b. Some of your arguments here seem to depend on that (e.g. your
> point 3 ).
>
> c. My conclusion from a. is that  any Semantic Web tool, e.g. a SPARQL
> processor, should usually be deemed broken if it behaves differently
> on an HTTP URI than it does on any other URI.
>
> See also http://copia.ogbuji.net/blog/2007-05-26/linked-data-is-
> overseling-http
>
> Bob

Professor Roderic D. M. Page