[tdwg-guid] LSID metadata persistence (or lack thereof)[Scanned]

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Sat Jul 14 01:29:13 CEST 2007

It seems to me that there is a third method to resolving the problem:

When we want to identify an object that is itself digital in nature (e.g., a
database record, or a binary data file such as a PDF, JPG, ASCII, Unicode,
or whatever), we resolve said binary object via getData().  If, for some
reason, we change the exact bit-sequence of that digital/binary object
(e.g., color-correct an image, change a text string from ASII to Unicode, or
whatever...), we assign a new LSID to it (whether that "new" LSID differs
from the "old" LSID only via the optional "Revision" part of the LSID, or
via a new Object Identification part, is a topic for another debate).

When we want to identify an object that does not itself have a digital
manifestation -- like a physical object (e.g., specimen or a particular
printed copy of a publication) or an abstract/conceptual object (e.g., a
taxon name, a taxon concept, a geographica place, or a cited publication) --
then we return *nothing* in response to getData(), and we treat all the
attributes of said physical/abstract/conceptual object of interest to us as
metadata.

If there are cases where certain metadata elements of an object without an
inherent digital existence need to persists (and there are), yet we also
want to allow modifications to metadata elements without the need to
generate new identifiers for the underlying object (and we do) -- then we
deal with those within our own community via adopted standards and best
practices.

I would disagree strongly with bending the existing LSID standard, and would
just as strongly favor working within its existing framework (which, I
think, we can).  I would also disagree with the practice of embedding XML
documents as "data" for an LSID, unless the LSID is intended to represent
the XML document itself (in which case there might be a different LSID to
represent the database record that was used to generate the XML document;
and yet another LSID to represent the abstract concept that the database
record was created to represent -- like a taxon name, for example).

If we want to use LSIDs to pass around XML packages (that are not rendered
as RDF) about abstract objects (e.g., taxon names), why doesn't our
community define within our semantic vocabulary something along the lines of
"TCS_XML", which can be established as a standard metadata component for
LSIDs assigned to taxon concepts (i.e., abstract objects, identified by
"data-less" LSIDs).  The exact bytestream of the content of that metadata
element can change, without changing its canonical rendering.

I'm beginning to suspect (strongly) that I am completely missing some
fundamental point here -- and perhaps is is the same point that underlies
the apparent antagonism towards LSIDs in general (which I do not yet share).
But I am fairly certain we are dealing with some level of miscommunication
here.

Aloha,
Rich