[tdwg-guid] An approach to Abstract LSIDs[Scanned]

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Mon Jul 16 09:16:29 CEST 2007

Isn't this where I came in last week Rich?

The LSID urn:lsid:indexfungorum.org:names:178962 is assigned to the IF
database record for Amanita phalloides (the deathcap - used as one of
the EoL sample species pages [well done EoL]). If I recall correctly the
getData() returns "Amanita phalloides" [not the primary key of the
database record, which is 178962 - Rich, why did you restrict the
getData() to returning a PK?]; the getMetadata() returns "(Vaill. ex
Fr.) Link","1833", etc etc. Whatever the encoding, this LSID will always
return the same 'payload' - if the coding value of any of the characters
in the string has to change for whatever reason (e.g. typographical
'spelling' error, Code required orthographic correction, even
capitalization of the specific epithet) it gets a new LSID (a new
database record) and the 'old' LSID (the 'old' database record) has a
column containing the new PK and a metadata element in the getMetadata()
containing the new LSID. Kevin will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Is this your proposed solution Rich?

Paul

PS the author string above could have been represented by "(" &
urn:lsid:ipni.org:authors:11023-1 & "ex" &
urn:lsid:ipni.org:authors:2913-1 & ")" &
urn:lsid:ipni.org:authors:22401-1 but more elegantly rendered in XML ...
;-)