[tdwg-guid] An approach to Abstract LSIDs[Scanned] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Greg Whitbread ghw at anbg.gov.au
Mon Jul 16 17:26:08 CEST 2007

Now I am worried. This is becoming very confusing.

For a while there I almost believed that we might use LSID's as unique
identifiers but ... I (CANB) simply cannot afford the risk associated
with any implementation of LSID's within our database as either object
keys or instance identifiers when what we really need is to stay with
our trusted, persistent and opaque surrogates.

But given that we already use a GUID to manage the identity of an
object, the LSID still adds two very useful methods to our persistence
model:

getData to return to a particular instance of an object (same state) and;

getMetadata to establish relationships within and between states.

The LSID becomes a surrogate for a query about an object rather than the
object itself.  The relationship object:LSID is one to many.

To meet out TDWG obligations we will deliver data sets about objects
uniquely identified by LSIDs and we will establish the necessary
resolvers.  The question of underlying persistence implied by this
agreement is another matter.  There is nothing in the candidate standard
to assist data providers deal with the issues of object, or instance,
identity management and many will simply find it beyond their resources
and/or capabilities.

Perhaps there is a way, peer-to-peer like, if providers can be convinced
to use both object and instance identifiers, for our aggregators to
provide services delivering the kinds of metadata and instance
persistence required. I don't think that is going to come from many
providers.

While LSIDs may provide a useful framework for managing and testing
object persistence their true value will still lie in the guarantee,
even if ephemeral or without the benefits of resolution, of an object's
identity and provenance; and in the advantages their mere presence in a
dataset can offer to both providers and users of these data.

greg