[Tdwg-guid] Demise of Phyloinformatics journal

Renato De Giovanni renato at cria.org.br
Fri Nov 24 22:45:28 CET 2006

Hi Bryan,

Just a quick comment about this part...

> On the smaller issue, DOIs for publications, electronic or paper is a
> no-brainer. URLs were never designed to be permanent. URLs were
> designed to be reused and be flexible. With DOIs we can place the
> same paper in multiple digital or physical locations and reliably
> find copies.

URLs were also not designed to be particularly impermanent - they
were simply designed to be used. Technically there's nothing about
DOIs that makes them more permanent than URLs. It's the management
strategy behind it that makes it a "safer" choice. Nothing prevents a
similar strategy to be built on top of URLs.

By the way, there's a classic document by Tim Berners-Lee about the
persistence of URIs: http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

The big truth there is that "URIs don't change: people change them".

Best Regards,
--
Renato