[Tdwg-tag] Meaning of 'concept'

Roger Hyam roger at tdwg.org
Wed May 3 11:17:57 CEST 2006

I like Class and Property too. Some problems:

   1. We have to define these things! To this end I have started a wiki
      page
      (http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/TAG/TDWGOntologyTerminology).
      With the start of some tentative definitions on. It would be good
      to have in brackets what the term might equate to in different
      technologies (UML, RDFS, OWL, XSD, SQL etc) or if it doesn't match
      anything exactly. Remember we are defining data models not
      software artifacts so we can't just pinch the Java definition of a
      class for example.
   2. We still have the problem of the use of 'Concept' in the mapping
      of BioCASE and TAPIR protocols. I don't see that this term maps
      directly to either Class or Property. It is equates to an XML
      Schema element or attribute in current usage. Do we need a new
      name for it or a way of qualifying it's use, 'mapping-concept'
      perhaps?
   3. What about relationships? I see these as just properties of a
      class with the range restricted to objects of a class. This keeps
      it really simple and maps well to SQL (foreign keys) and RDFS
      (property with domain of one class and range of another). I'd
      rather not get into bidirectional relationships (would need OWL
      express this) at the beginning though we may want to add them later.

Please lets keep the discussion on the mailing list and the results of
discussion on the wiki where possible. Not everyone follows the wiki and
the wiki becomes unreadable a documentation if it contains long of
dialogues. It is always possible to link to the thread in the email
discussion archives
(http://lists.tdwg.org/pipermail/tdwg-tag_lists.tdwg.org/) from the wiki
and /vice versa/

All the best,