[Tdwg-guid] DOIs and persistence -- when DOIs go bad

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Fri May 26 13:09:32 CEST 2006

Yes, but the question is whether we all have to do this separately or
not.

Put another way, the Poissonia paper mentioned earlier exists in
TreeBASE, and I've been mapping TreeBASE literature to external ids
(e.g., Google Scholar, DOIs, etc.). Now, if IPNI does the same this is
duplicated effort, plus we might each miss some mappings found by the
other.

I guess what I'm suggesting is two things:

1. A central place where anybody who makes a mapping can upload that
mapping (or have it harvested automatically)

2. A central place (same as 1 above) where anybody can go to ask
whether there is a mapping for an item of literature (or an
identifier).

Of course, this can all be done in RDF, but RDF just gives as a means
for expressing the mapping, not the actual mapping itself.

I use "central" loosely, it might be a case of  few brokers for the
major taxonomic groups/databases.

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page
Editor, Systematic Biology