[tdwg-tapir] GUID support in TAPIR (or BioCASe)

Javier de la Torre jatorre at gmail.com
Wed May 31 12:02:13 CEST 2006

And I would like to add something more:

In PyWrapper you will be able to generate GUIDs based on local IDs.
Let me explain...

If you have in our database just a number as your primary key for your
specimens you will be able to do this mapping to, for example ABCD
UnitGUID:

ABCDunitGUID -> Literal="http://purl.gbif.org/MNCN/specimen/" +
myTable.SpecimenID

Therefore the user will be generating GUID without having to modify
the local IDs he is using... And that means something realistic that
every provider can do.

PyWrapper will accept queries on the ABCDunitGUID, for example, and
will handle the decomposition to be able to perform a search using
only the ID.

I think this will be a very powerful mechanism for GUID adopters...

Javier.