[Tdwg-tag] TCS in RDF for use in LSIDs and possible generic mechanism.

Robert Gales rgales at ku.edu
Wed Mar 22 22:20:09 CET 2006

Hi Roger,

Not a problem.  Given the amount of deployed services, I completely
understand the intent of "avowed serializations" to bridge the gap
between the current architecture and a RDF-based architecture.  However,
given the fact that we *cannot* achieve true backwards compatibility
should this really be a primary driving factor for the new architecture?
    At least in my mind, backwards compatibility would mean that
existing software solutions would not require updating to function
within the new architecture.

As you've noted, even with avowed serializations, producers and
consumers would require updating to play nicely with the architecture.
(Existing DiGIR and BioCase providers would require updating, etc.)  If
we must incur the expense of updating existing software to support
avowed serializations, why not just update them to fully support RDF?
  I just don't feel that the utility of avowed serializations outweighs
the cost to implement it, particularly if that cost could be redirected
to upgrading existing services to fully support RDF.

I'm also a bit concerned about how we would handle schema
interoperation/intergration/extension with validation using XML Schema.
  These issues were two of the reasons RDF was appealing as a modeling
language.  At first glance it would seem to me that we would need one
schema for every potential combination that people would be interested
in, at least if validation against XML schema is a requirement.  This,
to me at least, is in direct opposition to using RDF for the benefits of
schema integration and extensibility.

Anyway, I'll have to think about this a bit more,
Rob

Roger Hyam wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> I would argue strongly that we should not build a single central
>>> ontology that summarizes all we know about nomenclature - we couldn't
>>> do it within my lifetime :)
>>>

>>>       Avowed Serializations
>>>
>>> Because RDF can be serialized as XML it is possible for an XML
>>> document to both validate against an XML Schema AND be valid RDF.
>>> This may be a useful generic solution so I'll explain it here in an
>>> attempt to make it accessible to those not familiar with the technology.
>>>
>>> The same RDF data can be serialized in XML in many ways and different
>>> code libraries will do it differently though all code libraries can
>>> read the serializations produced by others. It is possible to pick
>>> one of the ways of serializing a particular set of RDF data and
>>> design a XML Schema to validate the resulting structure. I am stuck
>>> for a way to describe this so I am going to use the term 'avowed
>>> serialization' (Avowed means 'openly declared') as opposed to
>>> 'arbitrary serialization'. This is the approach taken by the
>>> prismstandard.org <http://www.prismstandard.org>group for their
>>> standard and it gives a number of benefits as a bridging technology:
>>>
>>>    1. Publishing applications that are not RDF aware (even simple
>>>       scripts) can produce regular XML Schema validated XML documents
>>>       that just happen to also be RDF compliant.
>>>    2. Consuming applications can assume that all data is just RDF and
>>>       not worry about the particular XML Schema used. These are the
>>>       applications that are likely to have to merge different kinds of
>>>       data from different suppliers so they benefit most from treating
>>>       it like RDF.
>>>    3. Because it is regular structured XML it can be transformed using
>>>       XSLT into other document formats such as 'legacy' non-RDF
>>>       compliant structures - if required.
>>>
>>> There is one direction that data would not flow without some effort.
>>> The same data published in an arbitrary serialization rather than the
>>> avowed one could be transformed, probably via several XSLT steps,
>>> into the avowed serialization and therefore made available to legacy
>>> applications using 3 above. This may not be worth the bother or may
>>> be useful. Some of the code involved would be generic to all
>>> transformations so may not be too great. It would certainly be
>>> possible for restricted data sets.
>>>
>>> To demonstrate this instance.xml is included in the package along
>>> with avowed.xsd and two supporting files. instance.xml will validate
>>> against avowed.xsd and parse correctly in the w3c RDF parser.
>>>
>>> I have not provided XSLT to convert instance.xml to the TCS standard
>>> format though I believe it could be done quite easily if required.
>>> Converting arbitrary documents from the current TCS to the structure
>>> represented in avowed.xsd would be more tricky but feasible and
>>> certainly possible for restricted uses of the schema that are typical
>>> from individual data suppliers.
>>>

>>>       Contents
>>>
>>> This is what the files in this package are:

>>> TaxonNames.rdfs = An RDF vocabulary that represents TCS TaxonNames
>>> object.
>>> TaxonNames.html = Documentation from TaxonNames.rdfs - much more
>>> readable.
>>> instance.xml = an example of an XML document that is RDF compliant
>>> use of the vocabulary and XML Schema compliant.
>>> avowed.xsd = XML Schema that instance.xml validates against.
>>> dc.xsd = XML Schema that is used by avowed.xsd.
>>> taxonnames.xsd = XML Schema that is used by avowed.xsd.
>>> rdf2html.css = the style formatting for TaxonNames.html
>>> rdfs2html.xsl = XSLT style sheet to generate docs from TaxonNames.rdfs