PublicationBank - requirements evaluation

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira ricardo at TDWG.ORG
Fri Mar 24 06:36:48 CET 2006

    Dear all,

    I'm posting Matt Jones' reply to Robert Huber's survey because we
are having problems with Matt's GUID list subscription.

-------------------
Here I've provided responses for EML.  Its not a database per se, but it
is an exchange format that is in common use among ecological field sites
in the US.  The format basically follows End Note which is a commonly
used bibliography manager at field stations.

The bibliographic section of EML is described here:
http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/software/eml/eml-2.0.1/eml-literature.html
and here is an image of the schema which is easier to interpret:
http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/software/eml/eml-2.0.1/eml-literature.png

Matt

Robert Huber wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Below is a short 'survey' which hopefully can help to get an overview
> on how bibliographic information currently is stored in your databases.
> If you don't like to fill such forms, any other info on your current
> literature db is also welcome, just send it to me by email!
>
> The list maybe incomplete, if you think important questions are missing
> there just let me and the others know.
>
> I will try to sumarize the results on the wiki later.
>
> best regards, Robert
>
> 1) How is your literature database/module organised?
> - [ ]Database structure completely normalized
> - [ ]Database structure not/incomplete normalized

Not a db, not normalized

> 2) How do you hold your bibliographic information?
> - [ ]Complete set of Bib info (Author, Title,Source, Volume, Pages)
> - [ ]Incomplete set of Bib info
> - [ ]Abbreviations (e.g. Stafleu&Cowan)
> - [ ]Bib Info and Abbreviations

complete set of bib info

> - Specify which bibliographic fields you hold in your db:
> --[ ]Author(s)
> --[ ]Title
> --[ ]Source (Journal/Book)
> --[ ]Pages
> --[ ]Date(s)
> --[ ]Volume
> --[ ]Issue
> --[ ]Series
> --[ ]URL/GUID
> --[ ]Source Editors
> --[ ]Series Editors
> --[ ]Other:

All, and much more.  See links above for details.

> 3) How do you store author names:
> - [ ]Abbreviations (e.g. Brummitt & Powell)
> - [ ]Complete Name as String, one author per string
> - [ ]Complete Name as String, all authors in one string
> - [ ]Last Name, First Name separated

Last name, first name separated

> 4) How do you store journal names/ other sources
> - [ ]Complete Name
> - [ ]Abbreviation
> - [ ]Both
> - [ ]If you hold abbreviations acc. to which standard?

Complete name

> Dr. Robert Huber
> WDC-MARE / PANGAEA - www.pangaea.de, www.wdc-mare.org
> Stratigraphy.net - www.stratigraphy.net
> MARUM - Institute for Marine Environmental Sciences (location)
> University Bremen
> Leobener Strasse
> POP 330 440
> 28359 Bremen
> Phone ++49 421 218-65593, Fax ++49 421 218-65505
> e-mail rhuber@@wdc-mare.org, robert.huber at stratigraphy.net

Matt Jones                                   Ph: 907-789-0496
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                    SIP #: 1-747-626-7082
UC Santa Barbara     http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinformatics