[Tdwg-tag] RDF instead of xml schema

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Mon Mar 27 15:11:26 CEST 2006

Dear Gregor.

My initial reaction would be that RDF is great for data sharing, in
fact it makes it easy because it comes with built in semantics so that
applications can "know" which tags refer to what entities. One doesn't
need to struggle with XML schema to figure out what is going on, and
the use of standard vocabularies and URIs makes it easy to share widely
(i.e., way beyond this community).

In the case of marking up taxonomic literature, I would use RDF for
summary metadata (such as bibliographic details, lists of taxonomic
names, etc.), but use XML to markup the document itself. The main
reason for this is that in a document order matters, there is clear
structure, and one could borrow existing efforts, such as the US NLM's
DTD (http://dtd.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/1.1/journalpublishing.dtd),
which is being adopted by Open Access journals such as PLoS and BMC.
Indeed, I think the simplest strategy would be to add to this DTD,
given that it defines a lot of the basic structure of a publication,
and comes with additional tools (for examples, there are XSLT style
sheets around to render this XML into something nice). Again, I fear
there are a lot of wheels being reinvented.

Furthermore, if the goal of marking up taxonomic literature is to get
to the point where taxonomic publications are produced with this markup
in the first instance (i.e., not done after the fact), then you really
want to use something that publishers use. For instance, why not add a
taxonomic name module to the NLM DTD, and start an Open Access journal?
OK, so there ar eother issues involved, but this would be a quick way
to get there, rather than with a DTD/Schema that is unique to this
community.

For SDD, well I'd be inclined to go for RDF, and keep it as lightweight
as possible by referring to things like taxa, publications, images
using URIs. My sense from looking at SDD is that it is enormously
complex, partly because it tries to include far more information than
it needs to (why does it need to know about people, telephone
numbers(!), publications, etc. -- these can all be dealt with by other
vocabularies and referred to by URIs). Why not have a core that covers
what SDD is actually about?

Regards

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page