[Tdwg-tag] A very simple question stated again.

Roger Hyam roger at tdwg.org
Wed Mar 29 10:41:09 CEST 2006

Hi Steve,

Great post. You gave a definitive NO but then further down your answer
said YES!

If I can quote one bit:

"The XML Schema merely constrains the syntax of an acceptable document. Syntax is not semantics."

I think this sums it up. At the moment we basically don't do semantics we only do syntax.

Knowing the syntax of two languages (XML Schema applications) does not get us anywhere in trying to use the two languages together. We have to have some mechanism to link the meaning of the words between the languages. You finish up with more or less the same question - that I was coming to from a different direction. How do we do this in XML Schema?

So maybe there is no Yes/No answer to the question....

Thanks,

Roger

 roger at tdwg.org
 +44 1578 722782