[Tdwg-guid] Simple LSID resolver

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jun 15 12:56:12 CEST 2006

Dear Kevin,

The reasons against doing what you suggest (which I agree works in most
cases) are:

1. An LSID with authority example.org need not be handled by
example.org.  For example, ipni.org resolves to
http://beta.ipni.org:9090

2. You're assuming that we're all going to use port 80, whereas some
may serve metadata and data over a different port (e.g., IPNI use
9090).

3. I feel having a standard prefix before the LSID that remains the
same makes it easier for people to remember (i.e., we don't have to
think, "gee, so what bit of the LSID to I extract, and what was that
mumbo jumbo I stick on the end?"). Probably we should make it even
simpler by grabbing a short domain name to make it even easier.
Remember, DOIs make it simple - just tack the DOI onto the end of
http://dx.doi.org, and it's resolved.

Regards

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page