[Tdwg-guid] Throttling searches

Chuck Miller Chuck.Miller at mobot.org
Thu Jun 15 17:07:06 CEST 2006

Sally,
I don't think it's a problem.  GBIF/DIGIR currently enables providers to
limit the size of query responses.  It's not impolite to impose limits
on a public query interface. Without a limit, your provider service
could become overloaded and inaccessible to everyone.  So making
tradeoffs like this should be understandable and acceptable to all.

The fallback for the query user would be to contact the provider
directly and make a special request.  Making the provider contact
information more visible might help in enabling a fallback for this
tradeoff.

Chuck