[PyWrapper-devel] [tdwg-tapir] RE: WG: tapir: capabilities

Roger Hyam roger at tdwg.org
Mon Jul 24 12:53:09 CEST 2006

I thought this sounded like a good idea but since reading Renato's
message I am now confused.

If a user does a search on a portal and gets 100 results and looks at
the first 10 does the provider of the 11th record get notified? Their
data has been used because it has been given in the count.  Another
example would be if a portal gave a distribution map to 10km squares
based in data from multiple providers. Each data point is made from
several suppliers data and removal of any one supplier's data may not
change the map. Do we notify them all?

I could envisage a GUID based system just about. The call to the log
function would basically say "Some one has accessed the data that I got
from you that you tag with this GUID" but I can't see how this would
work on a search based system. The log call would mean "Some one
searched for something that made used of data I got from a search I did
on you once".

So really the only service we need is a GUID based one. Perhaps
extending the LSID resolution spec would be more appropriate?

Roger

 Roger Hyam
 Technical Architect
 Taxonomic Databases Working Group